Description:Address: 233 N Grand Canyon Blvd, Williams, AZ 86046, USA
SAVOR THE RAIL EXPERIENCE
The Grand Depot Café is the perfect start—or end—to your Grand Canyon journey. Located across from the hotel and adjacent to the depot, the 350-seat restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for Grand Canyon Railway passengers and patrons. Savor the rail atmosphere as a model replica of the train circles the room in the buffet-only restaurant. A full gift shop with Grand Canyon Railway souvenirs is also in the restaurant. This Rocky Rockholt 4 die machine is located in the gift shop at the entrance to the Café.
Design #1 celebrates the Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel. Williams, Arizona is known as the "Gateway to Grand Canyon" and there is no more stylish way to visit the Canyon then with a stay at the hotel and take a ride on a Grand Canyon Railway to the South Rim. The Grand Canyon Railway made its first journey to the Grand Canyon on September 17, 1901. And since that time, notable passengers to ride the Grand Canyon Railway include Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir, William Howard Taft, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Clark Gable, Jimmy Durante, Doris Day, Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates. Train track border graced with what is known as the Drumhead Logo. This Paul Conner Design was executed by Rocky Rockholdt.
Design #2 shows the front of the current locomotives that leave the Williams Station each morning at 9:30 carrying passengers to the all log, Grand Canyon Railway Station located in Grand Canyon Village immediately below the El Tovar Hotel.
Design #3 commemorates Historic Route 66 with John Steinbeck s immortal phrase "The Mother Road." Williams was the last town to have its section of Route 66 bypassed. They fought in court to keep Interstate 40 from being built around the town but Droped the suits when the state to built three Williams exits. I-40 was completed on October 13, 1984, marking the end of US 66, which was decommissioned the following year.
Design #4 Commemorates William Sherley "Old Bill" Williams (January 3, 1787 - March 14, 1849) was a noted mountain man and frontiersman. He served as an interpreter for the government, and led several expeditions in the West. Fluent in several languages, he lived with the Osage, where he married the daughter of a chief, and with the Ute. His friend and fellow Mountain man named the mountain just above the town Bill Williams Mountain when he guided the Sitgreaves Expedition through here in 1851. When the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad passed through here the named the stop for the Mountain and the city that grew up around the stop became what is now the City of Williams.
CommentsUpdated Grand Depot Cafe - verdehistory
Copper Dropper added to system.